Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    AFW Junkie

1970's Movie SUNSHINE

Has anyone else seen this film? I saw it at the movies in about oh, 1975 or 76 I guess. I loved it. John Denver did the soundtrack. This movie was the saddest I've ever seen, about a woman with a terminal illness (cancer maybe) who was recording messages for her daughter to grow up with.
    I can't find a copy of it anywhere and I really want my daughter's to see it too.
    Did anyone else see and love Sunshine?
    July.

Just Breathe...:D

Re: 1970's Movie SUNSHINE

I saw it...everyone loved John Denver, well his music anyway.
    But don't know where you would get a copy, except on ebay. geez I feel old now.

Advanced Member

Sounds similar to:
    Love Story with Ali MacGraw and Ryan O'Neil

or

Terms of Endearment with Shirley MacLaine and Debra Winger

I just tried to google "Sunshine" and there is a new movie coming out with that same name about Fifty years from now, our sun is dying. The planet lies frozen. In a last ditch attempt to save our world, humanity pools its resources to send a mission to the sun, in order to deliver a bomb which they hope will reignite our dying star, effectively creating a mini-Big Bang (or small bang, if you will).

Do you know if your Sunshine movie is an Australian, US or UK movie, do you know any of the actors that was in it?

I just found this below, Copied from http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072571/

"Sunshine" was a delightful 30-minute comedy-drama.

Sam Hayden (Cliff De Young) was a young widower raising his step-daughter Jill (Elizabeth Cheshire) in Vancouver, British Columbia. Sam had a band that included Weaver (Bill Mumy) and Cory (Corey Fischer). Sam dreamed of becoming another John Denver, but the band struggled to get by. Sam had to take on odd jobs to make ends meet. Lovely Nora (Meg Foster) was a close friend and potential love interest for Sam.

The relationship between Sam and Jill was beautifully written and played. There was no laugh track, which was a blessing. The show was somewhat reminiscent of "The Courtship of Eddie's Father", but even more touching.

This film was based on a TV movie called "Sunshine".

The producer of the movie and series was George Eckstein ("The Fugitive","Duel", "Banacek"). John Badham directed a couple of episodes.

The series was canceled after 13 episodes, but there was a follow-up movie called "Sunshine Christmas". The movie was written by Carol Sobieski ("The Neon Ceiling") and directed by Glenn Jordan ("One of My Wives is Missing"). Sam turns 30 and realizes he is not going to make the big time as a musician. Nora has married a doctor. A despondent Sam goes back to Texas to visit his parents (Pat Hingle and Eileen Heckert). Sam starts working as a reporter on his father's one man newspaper, which is in a town in the middle of nowhere. Nora visits and asks the parents how Sam can be happy with a life that doesn't include music. Sam's aging parents want to take Jill away from him and raise her in a stable environment.

A beautiful, sentimental finale for this fine series.
    Last edited by Alexa; 05-06-2007 at 10:15 AM.
    "Assumptions are the tools of fools and the bedfellows of dreamers. If you want to know something just ask..."

AFW Junkie

I don't know who was in the movie. A woman with long dark hair and a curly haired guy is what I remember! It's American I know that, and it was a true story.
    It's also a book, by Norma Klein. I found that on Amazon, it gets some great reviews! If I can't find the movie soon I think I'll get the book for my DD's to read.
    July.

Advanced Member

There was also another movie the same (1975) year called The Sunshine Boys, which stared Walter Matthau and George Burns, and he won an Academy Award for Best Supporting Actor...

and in 1976 another movie called The Sunshine Hour and another called Blue Sunshine...

Any of these ring a bell?

The book is called Sunshine Years or Sunshine Christmas? She had two with that title?
    Last edited by Alexa; 05-06-2007 at 10:25 AM. Reason: merged double post
    "Assumptions are the tools of fools and the bedfellows of dreamers. If you want to know something just ask..."

AFW Junkie

I have never seen it but the TV series you found, about Sam and Jill, sounds like a match! It must have been based around what happened after the Mum died. What puzzles me is the mention of "a TV movie called Sunshine". I saw Sunshine at the pictures. Were TV movies ever shown at picture theatres I wonder?

Adding a small sample review from Imdb:

"It has been over thirty years since I first saw this movie and I still remember its effect on me. I bought the novel soon after and read it until the pages fell out. Someone asked me at a job interview who my most influential person and I said Jacquelyn Helton because she had the courage to do what she thought was right all the while knowing what the outcome would be. This movie is an inspiration to anyone who takes life for granted and makes you realize that no matter how long you live whether it is 20 years or a hundred, its not the length but the quality of that life, make it count, and above all else, love".

All reviews I have seen are like that! It really had an impact on a lot of people.
    Last edited by July; 05-06-2007 at 10:47 AM. Reason: Add.
    July.

Advanced Member

July, I found this information under the name John Denver, it was a Tele-Movie, no wonder I couldn't find it under movies:

Clearly, by 1973, Denver was a man to be reckoned with when it came to colorful characters on the U.S. pop scene. It was natural that he would be asked to expand into motion pictures, even if it was only to help score a made-for-TV movie.

The feature was called Sunshine, and was a character study based on a real-life journal excerpted in the Los Angeles Times. It told the story of a terminal cancer case: a nonestablishment couple and the doctor who tried to save the young woman. Joseph Sargeant directed, Cliff DeYoung starred, and Cristina Raines played his wife. Also in the cast were Brenda Vaccaro, Meg Foster, Billy Mumy, and Corey Fischer. CBS drew high ratings when they aired the film on November 9, 1973.

MCA issued a Sunshine soundtrack LP, with performances by a number of cast members (in the picture, DeYoung, Mumy, and Fischer portrayed a singing trio). One of the tunes tackled was a Denver composition, "My Sweet Lady." Released as a 45 in the spring of 1974, it became a left-field Top 20 hit.

http://www.superseventies.com/1974_9singles.html
    Last edited by Alexa; 05-06-2007 at 10:45 AM. Reason: merged double post

AFW Junkie

Thanks Alexa, you are a real help! So it was made as a telemovie? I wonder why the heck it was showing at the pictures here in the mid 70's? Odd. Unless it was that popular that it went from TV to the big screen......It was good. I have never forgotten it, especially the emotional aspect, even after more than 30 years. OMG
    July.

Advanced Member

My gran is very fond of Terms of Endearment.

It might have been shown in limited release in Australia.

Glad that I was able to help...

I'm new here

I joined this site not from Australia live in Illinois lol
    My mother told me about this movie trying to find it I love to cry at movies
    Suggestion there;s a movie called after the Promise with Mark Harmon wonderful
    Take care whoever posted this Kellie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast