Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Advanced Member

Re: What job are you doing now?

You just do what you have to do sometimes, a lot of people aren't willing to take on a lot of jobs..when I took on my cleaning job it was in an affluent area in my d.d's kindergarten a lot of the mums looked down their nose at me.It was a good job I had keys to it and I could do it any time I wanted outside kinder hours I took d.d. with me and she played in the corner.When I was sick my hubby and the boys did it for me.

Advanced Member

My uncle left school at 15 and joined Queensland Rail. Now at 60 he is still with them. He has done courses but stuck with the one line of work. He has just taken a payrise with his new contract, and will not retire before 68. Part of me is thankful for the different experiences I have had with different employers, part of me is jealous of someone who sticks with the same job like that.
    "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Advanced Member

My hubby retired from his job after 42 years with the same company but he did take on different jobs so he wasn't doing the same thing the whole time. My stepdad who is 95 now was with GMH since he immigrated from England in 1950 to retirement age.

Count your age by friends, not years

Aged 9 to 10, helped a milk lady with her round ( illegal & my Mum & me got reported think she was let off cos she was a single Mum with a lot of kids )

Aged 13 to 14, Paper round, part of my round included the local hospital, including one ward where all these nice young men were in bed after having motorbike accidents .Always combed my hair before I went on that ward!
    Aged 15, worked in my Brothers little kiosk for 3 months.
    Aged 16, worked in local jam factory for 4 months.
    Aged16, worked at a garage for 1 month (got sacked for not going 2 Saturdays out of the 4 )
    Aged 16, worked in a dry cleaners for 2 years.
    Aged 18 to 25, worked in a stocking factory.
    Aged 26 to 27,had 2 sons
    Aged 27, went cleaning at a school.
    Aged 29, had 3rd son
    Aged 30 to 32, cleaning at another school.
    Aged 32 to 41, Lunch time supervisor at a school.
    Aged 41 to to 45,worked in school canteen.
    Aged 45 to 48, worked at a clothing factory ( hated nearly every minute of it )
    Aged 48 to 53, worked in a food factory till made redundant
    Aged 53, worked at a factory making caravan fittings. for 5 weeks, twilight shift.
    Aged 53, worked one week at a household packaging factory ( whilst doing the twilight shift )
    Aged 53 to present, senior kitchen assistant & all round dogsbody at a Nursing home.

Whew!!!

I wish I'd worked harder at school!!
    Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you are not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes" - William Gibson
    A stranger is only a friend you haven't met yet

(╯□)╯︵ ┻━┻

1 - Bakery assistant
    2 - admin/ student
    3 - journo
    4 - ESL teacher / bar manager
    5 - admin
    6 - telemarketer
    7 - call centre ops/ complaint mgr
    8 - complain mgr/ copy-editor

Killer of mystical vibes

Aside from my part-time school years, I've only been a nurse so my job history is fairly dull. Teenage years was a combo of Frankies and newsagency work to make enough money to pay tuition fees at uni. From 20yo onwards, I've been with the same employer, slightly different roles but all within nursing. The last few years have been the most rewarding for me in that regard.

There is a lot of job security in nursing which is probably why I keep doing it and will continue to do it for a long time to come. If the world didn't revolve around money, then there are plenty of other things I would rather do or explore doing. But those things don't offer the same job security and I am not yet at the age where I can afford to be flippant about my financial future.

"You will always have a job as a nurse" were the words that my first lecture at uni opened with. That's probably the only thing they didn't lie about to suck me into sticking to the program.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

About Me | Flickr

Advanced Member

Quote Originally Posted by Stormy View Post
    Aside from my part-time school years, I've only been a nurse so my job history is fairly dull. Teenage years was a combo of Frankies and newsagency work to make enough money to pay tuition fees at uni. From 20yo onwards, I've been with the same employer, slightly different roles but all within nursing. The last few years have been the most rewarding for me in that regard.

There is a lot of job security in nursing which is probably why I keep doing it and will continue to do it for a long time to come. If the world didn't revolve around money, then there are plenty of other things I would rather do or explore doing. But those things don't offer the same job security and I am not yet at the age where I can afford to be flippant about my financial future.

"You will always have a job as a nurse" were the words that my first lecture at uni opened with. That's probably the only thing they didn't lie about to suck me into sticking to the program.
    Same with childcare, or any care positions. You feel stuck in a rut, but the work is always available. So you stay in that position lol. Not that it's bad, there are worse things.
    "You gain strength, courage and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You must do the thing which you think you cannot do." - Eleanor Roosevelt

Killer of mystical vibes

That's precisely what I feel a lot of a time, like I am stuck for better or for worse doing what I do now. The only thing that is comforting is that there are a lot of roles I can pursue should I want to but something is making me think I should stay put for the time being. It's definitely not the worst job I could imagine.

Anyone who has watched The Tudors would know what the worst job in the world is. And let's just all be thankful that it no longer exists.
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain."

About Me | Flickr

Advanced Member

16-19 Worked part time at Target and do lots and lots of babysitting

20 started for job at Bankers Trust as a Clerk, stayed there for 18 months and saved enough money to travel overseas

almost 22 worked as Receptionist/Administrator for various companies (mainly temp work as I just wanted experience) had some fantastic contracts and meet some wonderful people

27 left NSW and went to lived in WA and worked in the mines for a few years - had the best time of my life, loved Perth and all of WA.

30 come back to Central Coast and think about getting married and having kids, life falls apart and bit and just go back to temp work (office work of all kinds, admin/payroll etc).

38 have finally secured a permanent roll for a Government organisation and love it too bits, apart from the travel it is my ideal job and hope to be here for the next 20 years (esp as they offer great parental leave).
    "Assumptions are the tools of fools and the bedfellows of dreamers. If you want to know something just ask..."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12